Let’s face it: caffeine side effects with chemically-treated coffee can quickly turn into a no-no for all, who want to enjoy high-quality coffee, chemical-free. That’s why it’s crucial to pay attention to different coffee beans and brands you can find in the grocery store and on the web.
Luckily for you, there’s a simple solution to all this. You can drink your coffee, forget about caffeine jitters, and still enjoy a healthy beverage that’s not loaded with chemicals:
Only the best organic decaf coffee. Chemical-free with zero caffeine side effects.
Let’s discover the best beans, grounds, and pods and help you find the best option for your taste!
We’ve already talked about decaf coffee:
- Best decaf beans for espresso
- Best 99.9% decaf coffee beans
- Best mushroom coffee (as a caffeine-free and viable coffee alternative)
Below, you can find only Swiss Water Processed beans. There aren’t any chemically decaffeinated options on the list and you can find more about types of decaffeination and other info in the FAQ section below the list.
- Best Organic Decaf Brands To Try in 2022
- Volcanica House Blend Decaf – Best Overall
- Koa Coffee Swiss Water Decaf – Best for Flavor
- Fresh Roasted Organic Honduran Swiss Water Decaf – Best Green Coffee
- Volcanica Sumatra Mandheling Decaf – Best Low Acid
- Coffee Bros Decaf Roast – Best Colombian Coffee
- Fresh Roasted Organic Ethiopian Sidamo – Best For Pods
- Lifeboost Medium Roast Organic Decaf – Healthiest Option
- MUD\WTR Decaf Mushroom Coffee – Best Coffee Alternative
- Peet’s Decaf Mocha-Java – Best For French Press
- Kicking Horse Decaf Dark Roast Coffee – Best For Budget
- FAQ On Organic Decaf Coffee
- Best Organic Decaf Coffee Beans, Brands, Grounds In Review
- Recommended Reading
Best Organic Decaf Brands To Try in 2022
Volcanica House Blend Decaf – Best Overall
- Medium roast
- Flavor profile: full body with sweet and bold flavor
- Blend of beans from the Americas
- Whole beans/ground coffee available
Coming from Volcanica coffee company, this is easily one of their bestsellers. The blend comes from central and South American smallholder farms. It has a distinguished sweet and bold flavor with a rich full body.
Volcanica company prides itself in delivering freshly roasted batches to your doorstep, of only the highest quality. Their beans are grown in volcanic regions around the world (hence the name), and decaf options are Swiss Water Processed. No funky stuff and no chemicals.
Koa Coffee Swiss Water Decaf – Best for Flavor
- Medium roast
- Single-origin from Kona estate
- 100% Arabica whole beans (a ground option also available)
Koa Estate Coffee comes from the slopes of Mauna Loa volcano in Hawaii. It’s the growing location that gives it its unique Aloha coffee taste. These coffee beans are my top choice for decaf espresso beans; once you try them, you’ll know why.
Choose from the ground or whole bean coffee. Either way, the rich flavor is there; it’ll easily become one of the tastiest decaf coffees you’ve ever tried. While it’s on the pricier side, keep in mind that you’re looking at one of the most elite coffee beans in the world. They’re carefully grown, picked, and processed to preserve the most flavor for your daily cup.
Fresh Roasted Organic Honduran Swiss Water Decaf – Best Green Coffee
- Unroasted beans
- Suggested roast: medium to dark roast
- Single-origin from Honduras
- Fairtrade, organic Rainforest Alliance certified
From the mountains in Honduras, above 1300 feet, the flavors of coffee beans become lighter and more complex; sweet citrus, nutty, and hints of chocolate, with spiced wine and fruits. These Honduran green coffee beans are blank paper, waiting for you to make the most of them.
The beans are Swiss Water Processes (as are all on the list, since it’s the best and healthiest option) and are 99.9% free of caffeine. Turn these beans into your after-eight treat or your morning coffee of choice. Either way, you’re in for a smooth yet full-bodied treat.
Volcanica Sumatra Mandheling Decaf – Best Low Acid
- Medium roast
- Tasting notes: exotic flavor with a mellow, sweet, and subtle taste
- Whole bean/ground coffee available
- Single-origin from Sumatra (Indonesia)
Volcanica’s Sumatra is a complex, rich coffee with a heavy body but low acidity. This single-origin coffee is a unique and rare coffee that’s smooth with an exotic syrupy flavor, earthy aftertaste, and 100% chemical-free.
These coffee beans are shade-grown, Rainforest alliance certified, and Swiss water processed. What I love most about Volcanica coffee is that they roast and ship beans on demand. They always make sure to ship the freshest beans possible.
Coffee Bros Decaf Roast – Best Colombian Coffee
- Medium roast
- Tasting notes: chocolate, graham cracker
- 100% Arabica beans
- Whole bean coffee
Low in acidity and roasted to bring out the best of Colombian coffee, Coffee Bros Organic Decaf is a well-balanced combination of sweetness, nuttiness, and tanginess. It’s a blend of classic flavor notes with surprising hints of graham cracker and semi-sweet chocolate.
As a 100% Arabica, this coffee is bold with a smooth finish – twice the flavor and mouthwatering aroma.
Fresh Roasted Organic Ethiopian Sidamo – Best For Pods
- Medium toast
- Tasting notes: cocoa, dark cherry, creamy finish
- Fair-trade and organic certified, kosher
If you’re looking for the best organic coffee for k-cups, look no further. FRC coffee offers high-quality single-serve coffee pods that aren’t only organic and recyclable, but also Fair-Trade certified. Just like other brands on the list, these beans are also Swiss Water processed. Choose from 18, 36, or 72 coffee pods.
The pods work in any Keurig machine (and other k-cup brewing systems) – simply insert them and prepare for a deep rich cup of coffee with dark cherry flavor and hints of chocolate for an indulgently creamy finish.
Lifeboost Medium Roast Organic Decaf – Healthiest Option
- Medium roast
- Tasting notes: smooth flavor with hints of caramel and nuttiness
- 100% Arabica beans, shade-grown
- Whole bean or ground coffee available
Completely free of chemicals, pesticides, and any nasties, Lifeboost coffee is one of the healthiest options on the list. Their single-origin coffee comes from the mountains of Nicaragua, where the beans grow in shade, are handpicked, spring water washed, and grown in high altitudes.
Unlike many commercial brands out there, Lifeboost coffee is all about quality over quantity. That’s also where the higher price tag comes in, but you’re not only paying for a bag of coffee. Instead, you’re getting premium certified coffee beans that are better for you and the planet.
MUD\WTR Decaf Mushroom Coffee – Best Coffee Alternative
- A functional blend of mushrooms and herbs
- USA made
- Organic, kosher, vegan, GF, non-GMO
MUD WTR coffee alternative has turned to be one of the most popular things to drink at the moment. While their original blend of medicinal mushrooms, herbs (all organic, naturally) boasts impressive reviews and claims to come with 1/7 of the caffeine as a cup of coffee, they developed a 100% caffeine-free blend that can easily become your go-to evening ritual.
Made with functional adaptogens, herbs, spices, and rooibos chai, the Evening Ritual can easily become a caffeine-free alternative to coffee. Not only the blend promises to take away caffeine jitters and other unpleasant side effects. It also helps to improve sleep, help you relax, unwind, and calm down. Choose your favorite fuel – with zero caffeine for the perfectly balanced day.
Peet’s Decaf Mocha-Java – Best For French Press
- Dark roast
- Tasting notes: rich flavor, chocolatey sweetness, hints of syrup and spice
- 100% Arabica beans, signature blend
- Roasted to order
A delicious blend of Java and Ethiopian Mocha will make your cup burst of flavor but none of the caffeine. while this coffee will work great in any coffee maker, it works best in a French press or a Pour-Over Coffee Maker.
In other words, let this signature blend take you on a journey with a cup of rich yet smooth-bodied coffee and complex flavors – cardamom, cocoa, and port wine.
Kicking Horse Decaf Dark Roast Coffee – Best For Budget
- Dark roast
- Tasting notes: roasted hazelnuts, chocolaty balanced body
- Arabica beans
- Blend (South and Central American origin)
Grown in a responsible way with respect for nature and people (organic, fair-trade, kosher certified), Kicking Horse decaf coffee is a blend of central and south American beans that bring the kick into your cup every day. Even though it’s a decaf coffee that’s Swiss water processed (which means minimal caffeine, if any), this coffee makes a dark, delicious, and deep cup of java. Use it in any brewer you prefer – espresso, French press, or cold brew.
Just like some other coffee brands on the list (looking at you, Volcanica), Kicking Horse also focuses on sustainable coffee production and growing practices.
FAQ On Organic Decaf Coffee
What is the healthiest decaffeinated coffee?
The healthiest decaf coffee from the list above would probably have to be Lifeboost coffee. They 3rd -party test their beans for mycotoxins, the entire process – from bean to harvest is 100% chemical-free. Their coffee is shade-grown and single-origin from the mountains in Nicaragua.
What is a good organic decaf coffee?
Any coffee from the list above is a great option if you’re looking to get started with decaf organic coffee. My personal choice would be Volcanica House Blend or Coffee Bros Colombia, but the final decision is entirely up to you.
Is there a healthy decaf coffee?
Not all decaf coffee is processed with chemicals. There are different methods of decaffeination (I’ve already talked extensively about it here):
- Swiss Water (a chemical-free method that effectively removes 99.9% of caffeine)
- Direct-solvent process (beans are flushed with a chemical solvent – usually with methylene chloride)
- Indirect-solvent process (similar to direct-solvent, this method uses methylene chloride or ethyl acetate to remove the caffeine)
- Carbon dioxide process (removes the caffeine and leaves no trace of chemicals; it’s a popular method to use with commercial-grade coffee- the kind you’ll find in grocery stores)
Is there any 100% decaf coffee?
No process can remove all the caffeine from the beans. The regulations on when coffee can be called decaffeinated differ from country to country. In Europe, it has to be 99.7% caffeine-free, in the USA however, only 97% (source, source).
If you want to be on the safe side and actually drink coffee with minimal caffeine, choose beans/grounds that have been processed with the Swiss Water Method. This is the most effective method since it removes 99.9% of caffeine.
Does organic decaf coffee have chemicals?
What is low-acid coffee?
It’s coffee that’s naturally low or treated to be low in acidity (has a higher pH). This type of coffee is grown at lower altitudes and is roasted for a longer time at lower temperatures to reduce acidity.
Best Organic Decaf Coffee Beans, Brands, Grounds In Review
As you can see from the list above, there are many high-quality options when it comes to choosing the best organic decaf coffee for your needs.
If you want to enjoy quality decaf coffee (and it can be done) without any sacrifice to your health, choosing organic is a logical step since coffee crops are some of the most chemically treated plants in the world.
All of the brands above pay careful attention to how they grow, harvest, and process their beans. many of the companies ship worldwide, whether you’re from Canada, the UK, Australia, or anywhere else.
If I had to choose one coffee from the list, it would have to be Volcanica House Blend for a daily cup in a Moka pot or French press, Koa Coffee for a creamy, fragrant espresso from an espresso machine, FRC Ethiopian Sidamo for a K-Cup Coffee Maker, or Coffee Bros with their fragrant Colombia.
No matter what you choose, don’t stress too much if it’s not up to your alley. There are plenty of options out there!
- 6 Best Coffee For Aeropress: Top Brands, Beans & Tips
- 11 Best Organic Coffee Beans That Are Better For You And The Planet
- 6 Best Coffee Grinders for French Press Reviewed in 2022
- 15 Delicious Winter Coffee Drinks You Must Try This Season
- Keurig 2.0 Models Compared: All You Need To Know Before You Buy
- Best Espresso Machines Under $600 For Home