Suffering from a sensitive stomach? Does regular coffee give you heartburn or acid reflux?
Forget about your normal daily cup; with one simple trick, you’ll be able to enjoy coffee without any uncomfortable side effects.
Discover the best low acid coffee beans on the market without any sacrifice to the quality, caffeine, and overall flavor. Let’s help you find the right coffee for your taste.
- Coffee and Acidity: How Does It Work?
- Best Low Acid Coffee Bean Brands
- 1. Spirit Animal Coffee – Best Overall
- Key Features
- 2. Koa Coffee 100% Waialua Estate Coffee – Best Estate Coffee
- 3. Volcanica Coffee Low Acid Blend – Best Coffee Blend
- 4. Renude Chagaccino – Best Coffee Alternative
- Key Features
- 5. LifeBoost Coffee – Best Coffee Pods
- 6. FRC Dark Sumatra Mandheling Coffee – Most Budget-Friendly
- 7. Puroast Coffee – Best French Roast
- How To Make Regular Coffee Less Acidic?
- Best Low Acid Coffee Brands: A Recap
- Recommended Reading
Coffee and Acidity: How Does It Work?
Let’s start with a pH scale. Acidity is measured with the pH scale, which ranges from 0 (very acidic) to 14 (very basic).
A cup of standard coffee contains about 30 different acids. It scores about 5 on the pH scale, so it’s not too acidic. In fact, it’s less acidic than orange juice, which scores about 3-4 on the pH!
What’s also interesting to note is that darker roasts have less acid than lighter roasts.
There are two ways to get low-acid coffee:
- Treated low acid coffee beans: beans that are processed in order to reduce their natural acidity; for instance, slow roasting highly acid coffee can help minimize that
- Inadvertent low acid coffee: beans that are naturally low in acid. Some of such beans come from the following regions: Sumatra (Indonesia), Guatemala, Nicaragua, Mexico, Peru, Brazil, and other South American countries
Alternatively, you can also stick to cold brew coffee since it’s already lower in acid, easier on the stomach. But if you don’t have problems with acid reflux, heartburn, and digestive issues while drinking coffee, you most likely don’t need any beans from this list.
Best Low Acid Coffee Bean Brands
1. Spirit Animal Coffee – Best Overall
- Naturally low acid beans
- Fair-trade, organic
- Tested for mycotoxins and pesticides
Spirit Animal Coffee is a premium specialty coffee that comes from the heart of Central America, from Honduras. The beans are tested for mycotoxins and pesticides to provide you with the highest-quality beans possible.
Spirit animal coffee is clean and healthy. It’s a single-origin and shade-grown from a micro lot. A fun fact: every bag of coffee comes with the name of the farmer who grew it! I must say, I love this feature that adds a personal touch to every bag.
Apart from that, the coffee beans are naturally low in acidity, which means they’re easier on the stomach; no acid reflux, no stomach issues. You can enjoy a cup of coffee safely (with free shipping!).
2. Koa Coffee 100% Waialua Estate Coffee – Best Estate Coffee
- Medium roast
- Whole bean coffee
- Estate Coffee
Waialua Estate coffee comes from a small coffee farm on Oahu. The beans grow at about 700 feet on rich volcanic soil, which brings unique flavors and aroma into every cup of coffee: floral notes, hints of cocoa, and chocolate.
Waialua is a unique single-estate coffee that is naturally low in acidity, with a mildly sweet and flavor. It’s a smooth treat with a silky aftertaste for any coffee lover. The coffee has no bitterness
3. Volcanica Coffee Low Acid Blend – Best Coffee Blend
Key Features of Volcanica coffee
- Blend of high-quality Arabica beans
- Beans naturally low in acidity
- Guaranteed freshness
- Whole beans/ pre-ground coffee available
Volcanica coffee company has a wide selection of all types, blends, and roasts of coffee. Their low acid coffee is a high-quality blend of Arabica beans. The key factor here is that the beans are grown at lower altitudes that maximize the flavor without any stomach distress or acid reflux.
The blend is made from beans that are naturally low in acidity, which gives the blend a unique flavor and smooth coffee. It’s medium roasted on demand and ground to your preferences if you don’t want to choose whole bean coffee.
Other Awesome Low Acid Picks From Volcanica
Mellow with floral, chocolate, woody, and brown sugar notes, Komodo Coffee comes from an elite coffee-growing region. This one packs pure Komodo beans (not blends) and it’s extremely well priced for this type of coffee.
The coffee is medium roasted and the beans are wet-hull processed. What’s more, the process of preparing these beans allows for a heavy body and low acidity. The coffee is quite earthy, so if you’re looking for something brighter, this isn’t the best option.
Geisha or Gesha coffee has a soft and delicate flavor profile but it’s low in acidity and has 30% less caffeine than most other coffees. There are hints of lavender, molasses, and pipe tobacco, along with a long finish and crisp cocoa tone. It’s a unique coffee with unique history and aroma. While it’s pricier than other Volcanica coffee beans, it’s exclusive and it’s a difficult coffee is difficult to grow commercially.
4. Renude Chagaccino – Best Coffee Alternative
- Vegan, keto, gluten-free
- Coffee add-on
- Naturally sweet
Here’s the thing; mushroom coffee has been growing in popularity recently, but many of the blends have a taste too earthly to handle. But that’s not the case with Chagaccino from Renude.
This is your coffee’s BFF (according to Renude): mix it with your daily cup of coffee for a healthy boost. It’s a tasty treat and a powdered blend that contains an effective dose of Chaga mushroom, combined with Peruvian cacao, Ceylon cinnamon, and monk fruit for natural sweetness.
5. LifeBoost Coffee – Best Coffee Pods
- Naturally low acid coffee
- Compostable coffee pods
- Compatible with Keurig and Keurig 2
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Lifeboost boasts a number of certifications and 3rd party tests for Mycotoxins. Their beans are USDA organic and Fairtrade certified single-origin, and shade-grown.
Coffee pods are non-GMO, single-origin from Nicaragua. They’re also hand-washed and hand-selected to ensure each batch of beans is only of the highest quality.
The flavor is smooth, with hints of caramel and chocolate. This low acid coffee is free of any bitter aftertaste, and the pods are 100% compostable (plant-based). These pods aren’t just good for your health, but environmentally friendly as well.
6. FRC Dark Sumatra Mandheling Coffee – Most Budget-Friendly
- Medium roast with bold body
- Sustainably sourced coffee
- Roasted on demand
- Different grind sizes available
A rich, bold, and earthy flavor with hints of syrup and notes of spicy, Dark Sumatra is naturally low in acid, medium roast with a bold body. If you’re looking for Indonesian coffee with a full mouthfeel and low acidity, this one is a perfect choice.
Sumatra Mandheling grows on rich volcanic soil in a tropical climate; the beans soak up the exotic flavors to deliver their users a unique flavor profile and smooth coffee without any bitterness and little acidity. The coffee comes with a unique aroma and flavor profile: spice, caramel, and toasted nuts. Expect to find an excellent balance between creaminess and nuttiness in every cup!
7. Puroast Coffee – Best French Roast
- Smooth, flavorful coffee
- 70% less acidity than traditional coffees
- Very high in antioxidants
- Backed by scientific research
A French roast Venezuelan coffee, Puroast is roasted at a slow pace in a wood fire. That way, the coffee has significantly less acidity. In fact, it’s about 70% less acidic than traditional coffees!
What’s more, Puroast coffee packs five times more antioxidants than your regular coffee and it’s not just empty words. It’s been backed by scientific research. Plus, it’s one of the most affordable options on the list.
They use only premium coffee beans to produce Puroast, without any additives and gluten. Also, it’s Kosher certified. The result? A smooth aromatic dark coffee with bold flavor.
How To Make Regular Coffee Less Acidic?
While choosing low acid beans is probably your best option, there are three ways in which you can make your regular coffee less acidic:
- Drink your coffee with almond milk; almond milk is alkaline and it may help to neutralize the acidity levels of your coffee
- Cold-brew your beans; cold brewing produces coffee that’s lower in acidity and easier on the stomach
- Pick darker roasts; lighter roasts are higher in acidity than darker roasts. Switch to medium-darker roasts instead
How to make low acid coffee?
There is no best way to brew low acid coffee. since these beans are already naturally low in acid, feel free to brew them any way you prefer. However, cold brew coffee is the best brewing method for stomach issues since it produces coffee that’s much easier on the stomach than the classic brew methods.
Is Colombian coffee low acid?
There are many different options when it comes to Colombian coffee brands. The coffee from Colombia is one of the best in the world for its diverse flavor profiles and growing regions. Overall, coffee from Colombia has a rich taste and acidity.
What is the best coffee to drink with acid reflux?
You can’t go wrong with any of the brands on the list above, though a great option to try is also cold-brew coffee.
Best Low Acid Coffee Brands: A Recap
Choosing low acid coffee beans can help a great deal and eliminate your tummy issues quickly without sacrificing the coffee flavor and quality.
As you can see from the list above, there are many low-acid coffee options available and can cater to a bunch of different tastes and preferences.
All of the options listed are excellent for certain flavor preferences. Still, if I had to choose only one to recommend, it would have to be Spirit Animal Coffee Beans.
Spirit Animal Coffee is a special-grade coffee that’s naturally low in acid, which makes it healthier for you, and better for the planet as well. The company is strict about its sustainable practices when growing, producing, and processing coffee.
Not only is this coffee USDA organic, but it’s also Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade certified. But it’s more than just certifications. SAC produces a smooth, rich, and fragrant cup of coffee without any unpleasant side effects from regular coffee.
In other words, Spirit Animal Coffee is one of the best coffee for stomach reflux, heartburn, and other issues you may have when drinking regular coffee.
BEST BEAN BLEND: Volcanica Low Acid Coffee Blend.
BEST PREMIUM LOW ACID COFFEE: Koa Coffee 100% Waialua Estate Coffee
- Best Handheld Milk Frothers for Home Use
- 7 Best Organic Coffee Beans (100% Certified Organic)
- Never Drink Cold Coffee gain: 12 Nifty Hacks And Tricks To Try Today
- 6 Best Decaf Coffee Beans – Top Brands You Can’t Overlook
- Best Flavored Coffee Beans: A Tasty Sugar-Free Treat
- Best Guatemalan Coffee Beans For The Ultimate Diversity In Your Cup